The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared Sierra Leone free of Ebola, a welcoming development for football administrators, stakeholders and football fans across the country.
On Saturday, WHO’s country director Anders Nordström said the country has not seen any new cases of the disease for 42 days.
Leone Stars are set to battle Gabon and Sudan in Freetown in March and June 2016 respectively in their remaining home ties of the Gabon 2017 Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers.
The Confederation of African Football CAF says Sierra Leone can now host international matches after WHO confirmation that the country is free of the Ebola epidemic.
July 19, 2014, was the last date that Leone Stars played an international match at home defeating Seychelles during the 2015 AFCON qualifiers.
Since the outbreak, Sierra Leone has played all their matches on the road, losing six of their matches played in 2015 and 2017 Nations Cup qualifiers.
They were also eliminated by Chad in the 2018 World Cup qualifiers on away goal rule, the match was hosted in Port Harcourt Nigeria last month.
September 6, 2015, they held the African Champions Ivory Coast to a goalless draw at the Adokiye Amiesimaka Stadium in Port Harcourt Nigeria after losing away to Sudan in their opening fixture.
Leone Stars remain at the foot of Group I with a single point.
Follow the writer @bittar32/Contact email@example.com