FIFA on Thursday when clarifying their stands on the present Sierra Leone football dilemma has said in a letter to Alie Bittar of Football Sierra Leone UK that any Government interference would lead to sanction. Photo: FIFA’s Secretary General Jerome Valcke.
The continuous row and leadership tussle going on between the Sierra Leone Football Association and the Sports Ministry over two sets of appointed coaches for the Sierra Leone African Nations Cup qualifiers in Yaoundé has reach it climax.
FIFA has reiterated they would incessantly monitor the state of affairs and according the SLFA the Ministry appointed coaches Mensah and John Sama are not qualified to supervise Leone Stars home tie this weekend African Nations Cup qualifiers in Yaoundé slated for 11 before away tie 15 October.
FIFA’s letter reads: Dear Alie, “We were informed by the SLFA of alleged interference from the Ministry of Sports with regard to the management of the national team. Consequently, FIFA responded with a letter referring to article 13, par. 1 and article 17, par. 1 of the FIFA Statutes which oblige member associations to manage their affairs independently and with no influence from third parties.
“FIFA will continue to monitor the situation. Generally speaking, any apparent breaches of the FIFA Statutes are referred to the appropriate FIFA bodies for decision, which potentially includes a suspension. Best regards,
The FA announced last week a new technical team that will lead Leone Stars against Cameroon. “The SLFA would like to inform the general public that after correspondence between the Royal Netherlands Football Association (KNVB) and CAF, Mr Atto Mensah’s UEFA B Diploma does not qualify him as a National Team Head coach”.
List of the new SLFA technical team: John Jebbor Sherington – The new Technical Director, John Ajina Sesay, Head Coach, Abdulai Kaloga Bah Assistant head Coach, Prince Tamba Moses, Goalkeeper Coach.
On the other hand – The Sports Ministry says the opposite to the FA that Mensah and his assistant John Sama will be in charge of the team for the four remaining group qualifiers in Yaoundé Cameroon.
Deputy Sports minister Ismail Al Sankoh Conteh told BBC Sport: “We know both Mensah and Sama are qualified and they’ll take us through the remaining matches in the qualifiers.”
“The appointment of these coaches was done by both the Ministry and the SLFA, so they just want to confuse themselves.
“We’re not bothered with their appointments. We’ll take our coaches to Cameroon.”