The government of Ghana has declined a request from the Sierra Leone Football Association for the national team to play its 2015 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier against DR Congo in Accra next month, a top official said on Thursday.
It’s now a foremost distress for Sierra Leoneans who are hoping their national team obligate a genuine chance of reaching the African Cup of nations final in Morocco 2015.
However, the Sierra Leone Football Association (SLFA) predicament continues in finding a venue for their home match listed for September 10 2014 against DR Congo.
Addressing a news conference last week, Ghana’s Foreign Affairs Minister, Hannah Tetteh has said even though it was a matter to be addressed by the Ministry of Youth and Sports and the football authorities, it could not be granted.
Ebola forces Sierra Leone qualifiers in Ghana after CAF instructed countries affected by Ebola virus to find venues away from their respective countries.
She stated the government’s position on the matter was “indirectly saying that this is not an available venue for the playing of such a match.”
The Ebola outbreak has turned parts of West Africa into a medical battle zone and could last up to six more months, Doctors without Borders warned Friday as a worker on the front lines in Liberia acknowledged that the true death toll is unknown.
Ghana is yet to record its first case but the government has insisted it is putting in place a measure to contain the virus should it spread to the country.