Sierra Leone’s Sports Ministry has announced that it is suspending all football related activities in the country with immediate effect until after the Sierra Leone Football Association (SLFA) Congress slated for April 17 and 18 April 2015.
(Photo Sports Minister Paul Kamara and Alhaji Alim ‘Awoko’ Sesay in Photo during meeting with President Koroma at State House)
Deputy Sports Minister Al-Sankoh further confirmed the decision in an interview with www.footballsierraleone.net
“The government has taken a decision we believe is in the interests of Sierra Leone that we should for now, withdraw from football activities including international competition until the prevailing impasse sorted,” he said.
In a short statement, the Ministry said: “His Excellency the President Dr. Ernest Bai Koroma in his capacity as President of the National Sports Council convened has intervened in order to solve the prevailing impasse in the Sierra Leone Football Association (SLFA) by urging that a meeting of the Extra Ordinary Congress of the Association be held on Friday 17 and Saturday 18 April, 2015.
“The SLFA Executive and Members are therefore required to adhere to the above in order to resolve the impasse in the Association by suspending all football activities until after the Congress,” – RELEASE FROM THE MINISTRY
It could be recalled, that The President of Sierra Leone Ernest Bai Koroma on Wednesday announced date for the FA Congress.
Meanwhile, last year the Africa’s football governing body, CAF, maintained bans on West African affected countries – Sierra Leone, Guinea, and Liberia.
The Football Association (SLFA) also suspended all football matches in the country until further notice because of the Ebola outbreak.
And, as a result, Sierra Leone was not able to play their 2015 Africa Cup of Nations group-stage qualifying matches at home.